RE: Air filters, FIPK, clones

From: Michael D Gemelke (Michael.D.Gemelke@wdc.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 10:58:33 EST

Does the breather still need to be connected to the new "airbox"? From
looking inside the factory airbox on my '95 it looks like the breather
tube is connected to the fresh air (unfiltered) side so that it just takes
cool air in. With the open-element filter there is no "fresh air" side,
it's just engine compartment air. If you do connect to the filtered side
of the airbox, you'd be double-filtering the crankcase air, which I
suppose is ok, but doesn't seem necessary. I'd really rather not cut a
hole and buy a new fitting if I don't have to. Can someone justify this
for me? Why can't I just get an open-element breather filter?