Air filters, FIPK, clones

From: Michael D Gemelke (Michael.D.Gemelke@wdc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 13:08:41 EST

I'm trying to figure out what kind of air filter to put on my '95 Dakota
Sport 3.9L V6. I'm looking for the best performance increase for the
price.

Within my price range I see a couple options:

1. get a K&N FIPK (Summit part number KNN-571501?) - cost $105 - Is this
the correct K&N part number? If not can someone please let me know what
the right number is for my '95 Dakota?

2. use a summit 14" air cleaner (a K&N look-alike) SUM-239144? and
breather SUM-G3405 - cost $30 +$14.50 = $44.50 - I would then throw away
the old air cleaner box, cover, airbox to breather hose, and plastic
airbox intake tube. Is this a "clone". Does anyone have a picture, or
can anyone describe their clone for me? What does the FIPK have that this
setup doesn't have? What kind of performance should I expect to gain?

Is the K&N worth twice the money as the "clone" I have described?

Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to see some pictures if anybody
has some to share (where are the FTP and web site addresses, by the way?).

Cheers
-Mike