re: MPG and low fuel light

From: rbt@frontiernet.net
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 17:41:05 EST

Having just gone on a trip I thought I'd add my input to the thread from about
a week back or so. My truck ( '98 CC 4X4 V8 5speed) had about 800
lbs extra on board (snowmobile, ramps, misc stuff) and had about 5500
miles on the odo when I started. Temps were in the low 30's to low
20's. My destination was just over 300 miles away (VT) and is 2/3 thruway
and 1/3 2 lane hwy (occaisional stops).

My low fuel light came on at 275 miles and when I gassed up 30 miles later I
still had about 1/2 needle width to E. I put in just a hair over 20 gallons
and got just about 15.1 mpg. (2 gal left???)

On the trip back I ran 318 miles and put in 20.2 gallons while getting 15.6 mpg.
(needle said E) So I really can't say if the other 2 gallons are
really usable as I didn't run out of gas. My guess is you have at
least 40 miles (as someone else said) or maybe up to 60 miles range
at the top end (if you're getting about 15 mpg at the time) once the
low fuel light comes on in a setup like mine. One thing's for sure:
the guage is definitely non-linear as at 3/4 tank you look to get
over 400miles, by 1/2 tank you think 360 miles and you end up around
300 miles with some reserve when all's said & done.

The best I've gotton so far is 16.8 mpg going to MA over xmas. My gut
feel is 20 mpg will be stretching it under ideal conditions, but I can
see getting 18mpg in the summer on the highway (good enuf) once I got
a few more miles on it.

BTW: I used cruise set to 70 mph on the thruway, but believe you can
do better manually (rather than cruise lugging up hills in 5th).

Worst I've gottem is 13.2 mpg and I'm usually getting just under 15
in my combined hwy/local driving during the week. Considering the
performance when I get on it (always part of my driving) I'm pretty
pleased so far.

-BobT. '98 CC Sport+ 4X4 V8 3.55 5sp