Painting... How are these prices?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 01:59:26 EST

   I've got a set of bed rails that I'd like to get painted, and I
also am thinking about getting a fiberglass toneau cover, and
eventually, a cowl induction hood. All this stuff will have to be
painted, so I asked around and the owner of the local detailing
place recomended a guy (who had recently touched up a panel on
his BMW). So, I figured I'd check him out.

   I pulled into the lot, and the first thing I see is a bright
yellow 440 'Cuda. (Good sign #1?) :-) Beautiful car,
even if it was an autoatic. ;-) Turns out that this guy
is just finishing a complete restoration of that car (for a
customer). He showed me the "before" pictures, and they were
NOT pretty!!! (Car looked like a rolling junkyard). He has
3 years and $12,000 worth of labor into the car (I'm not sure
what the parts costs is.) He drives a Chevelle SS which
he also restored himself (has about 30 grand in it). Also
a very nice looking car. ...for a chebby. ;-)

  Anyway, before I ramble on too far... I asked him for
some prices, and as it turns out, it is cheaper to get a lot of
stuff done all at once than it is to come back each time.
(Due to costs involved in setup, paint change, cleanup, etc.)
  He said that he would paint a tonneau, the bed rails, and a
cowl induction hood for $600. That's for sanding all the parts
down, primer, base coat, and clearcoat. These would be
matched to the truck; he even said he would match the "orange
peel" of the factory finish. Apparently, the factory doesn't
go as good of a job as they could, so when stuff gets re-painted,
they look richer and better than the rest of the car, which
looks funny, of course.

   This guy appears to be a perfectionist, and very good at what
he does. Both he and the guy who recomended him to me said that
he is not the cheapest in town, but that his quality can't be
beat.

   So, if I do decide to get a tonneau and get my bed rails
painted, I might as well go ahead and get the hood too.
(Painting all that together would save me $125 over having them
done seperately.) That would coe out to be about $1400-1500,
a pretty hefty chunk of change. :-( (Depressing when you
think that $1000 more would buy me a Vortech)

  Anyway, does anyone have a handle on painting prices?
How does $600 sound for color (and finish) matched, clearcoated
bed rails, tonneau, and hood?

  Thanks very much in advance!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; all opinions are my own.