Re: To everyone considering the JBA deal

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 02:14:34 EDT

At 11:45 PM 7/16/98 -0500, you wrote:=20

> I'm just being off handed, but I wonder if we could get a similar deal=
 with
> someone who in my opion may have a better set of headers...=A0 I spoke=
 with the
> owner of TNT In Houston.. They specialize in supping up Vipers.=A0 They=
 did the
> Dak featured in the latest Mopar Muscle Mag.=A0 They custom designed a set=
 of
> headers for that turck and really didn't expect to get as many calls from=
 Dak
> owners as they have.=A0 These guys play hard ball when it comes to sup-ups=
 they
> now have the fastest Viper around and he gave me his word that they keep
> quality the same on everything that they do.=A0 Quality and preformance=
 comes
> at a price... A set of headers for that Dak were around the 1200.00 mark.=
=A0
> However, due to the number of phone calls that they recieved from Dak=
 owners
> he is considering the production of these headers for inventory.=A0 I'm=
 for one
> goint to install a set on my 98 as soon as I can afford it, but if we=
 could
> get an organized purchase together I'm sure that these guys would works us=
> deal.=A0 One of the things that makes me prefer doing business with TNT is=
 that
> they have their own chasis dyno and engine dyno and they despise fibbing=
 on
> the true preformance numbers that ALOT of the mass after marketing guys=
 seem
> to do so well.=20
>
> Anyone who is interested in spending maybe a little bit more on their mods
> let me know...=A0=A0 TNT does full mods too.=A0 I've seen their shop as=
 well as the
> quality that they produce... This stuff is trully the sh@t! :)=A0=20

   A little out of my league, thanks! (Ok, a lot out of my league!!) :-)
I'm a firm believer in a good hp/$ ratio. I don't think you have to spend=
=20
a lot of cash to go fast; there's usually a cheaper way that's almost as=
 good.=20
   For $1200, I could juice it and run high 12's!!
=20
That's one of the reasons I got into the Dak in the first place. My VR-4=
 was
fast, but to increase the power by 160hp (and decrease the 1/4 mile by 1.5
seconds) would cost in the neighborhood of $9,000. Needless to say, I=
 didn't
upgrade much. :-)

> These guys do buiness totaly based upon reputation alone... You got to be
> doing something right if you can stay in business soly on reputaion alone.=
=20

    Actually, its a good thing you mentioned that. Up until now, I figured=
=20
TNT didn't know what they were doing after reading about the TNT Dakota in=
=20
Car & Driver. 400+ HP is cool, but only 15.3 in the 1/4? Maybe somebody
screwed up at C&D. I'll look at TNT more objectively in the future. :-)
  (Seeing the price of the TNT headers, I now understand how they put over
$50,000 into that truck.) ;-)

  Please don't take this as a criticism of your performance philosophy... =
=20
Different strokes for different folks. That's what keeps life interesting!

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |