Re: headers..Q and A

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 11:58:13 EDT

> Rob,

> I kept your posts on the JBA install and greeatly appreciate
> the input.
> My headers came last Thursday. Unfortunately, that's all I
> got, so I
> haven't installed them yet. I was thinking about Stage 8
> fasteners,
> anyhow, but I do need the rest of the stuff that comes with
> them. Maybe
> even that donut thing they talk about, whatever that is.

> I've got three questions (for now) for you, if you don't
> mind.

> 1. How did you get the Y pipe nut off that's next to the
> engine? Sure not
> much room in there. Did you come over the top or from
> underneath?

> 2. Can one person do this job? I read Michael Clark's Doug
> Thorley header
> install and he said it was a bitch, but he did it all by
> himself over a
> weekend. The DT is more involved due to the Y-pipe
> replacement.

> 3. What did you use to seal the 02 sensor? The instructions
> say silicone.
> Is general silicone sealant OK or is there a better type to
> use for this?

> As you can tell, I haven't done this before. Thanks for your
> help!!

> Richard in San Antonio

> Richard

I just went from underneath with a 9/16 socket (the kind that wobles,
ya know has the Ujoints so you can turn the bolt even if you can't get
directly to it, what's that kind of socket called?) The bolt has a
keeper on the top side and a nut on the bottom side, at least on mine
it did.

As far as the O2 sensor, do you mean the EGR valve connection on the
passenger side? I just used some O2 sensor safe exhaust gasket sealer
on it.

Yes it should be much easier than putting on DT headers because of the
Y-pipe. I just re-installed my stock manifolds last week so I can
have my DT's coated and totally by myself it took only 7 hours. After 20
hours putting them on 7 seemed like 5 minutes to me.... It was the
Y-pipe that took so long the first time, getting that thing seperated
from the cat inlet took me forever...

---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt
 My Dakota page==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html