'98 Auto Trans Problem & Question

From: Buelterman, Chris (Chris_Buelterman@mail.msj.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 16:25:57 EDT

Ever since I bought my Dak, I have had on and off problems with the
Trans Temp light coming on. I have 6,000 miles on the truck now, and
the Trans Temp light came on again last night for the fourth time. All
four times that it has come on, it has been under normal driving
conditions. The first time it happened, the dealer just thought it was
a fluke with the PCM (there was a TSB out for something like this, but
it was for a '97 Ram), the second time they decided to replace the Trans
Temp sensor, and the third time they changed the fluid and adjusted the
bands. Anyway, I was pulling the manual out of the glove compartment
today to get the phone # for CC, and I noticed something weird that
caught my eye on the components list that is taped to the inside of the
glove compartment door. The information that caught my eye was the
following:

Code: DGB - STD (Standard) Duty 4spd Auto Trans
Code: DGW - 4spd Auto Trans 44RE

The first one it what concerns me. I have a V8. I thought that all
V8's with an auto came with the Heavy Duty transmission and all V6's
with an auto came with the Standard Duty transmission. At least that is
what's shown in the features and options list in the Dakota
advertisement catalog. Also, does anyone know what the second listing
(DGW) stands for? Does everyone else with a '98 V8 auto have the
"Standard Duty 4spd Auto Trans" listed on the glove compartment door, or
is this something that I should point out to the dealer as a possible
problem? It would really suck if I had the wrong tranny in my truck!!!

Thanks for any help,
Chris
'98 Sport+ 4x4