Re: Defective exhaust citation in FL - am I in the wrong?

From: W . Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 12:55:58 EDT

I would fight that tooth and nail !!!

Just the Enviro-Nazis flexing some muscle !

I would go to an ASE certified master mechanic and have him do a full
examination on the exhaust .

Then I would either have him come with you to court with his credentials or
have him sign a notarized afidavit explaing what he examined .

This is utter and total BULLSHIT!!!

If you are confident about what you have , then fight it till the end .

You also might wanna go to either the court house or the library and
examine the actual law that is on the books that he alleges that you are
breaking .

He should have put on the ticket the code number or whatever for the law
you were (not) breaking .

Sounds like he was just another ego-maniac cop .

At 11:15 AM 8/29/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Ok, here's the scenerio.
>
>I have a 97 Dodge Ram SS/T with a custom bent exhaust system.
>
>It consists of Borla headers into 2 - 2 1/2" aluminuzed pipe that goes into
>two
>Flowmaster mufflers, then I have turn dows after each muffler before the
axle,
>but well behind the cab.
>
>I was pulled over last night, and said that my exhaust was illegal. The
>officer
>explained to me that I needed exhaust pipes with no leaks, good mufflers, and
>tail pipes. I have a tight exhaust system, with street mufflers, I'm just
>unsure about the tail pipes. What does the law consider a 'tail pipe' ? If
you
>look at the bigger deisels, they run the same short pipe with a turn down
>after
>the muffler too.
>
>any insight is welcome ..
>
>ttyl