ET's - Why am I going slower?????

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 00:17:58 EDT

Hey guys/gals,

Just got back from the track...this is goin' be pretty long, so delete it
now if you don't want to read it. I went with a friend who raced his CJ7 -
THAT was a sight to see!!!

Anyhoo, first a little info on the truck..

93 Dak CC 5.2 auto
3.55 open rear
JBA's
K&N FIPK
Accell Super Electronic Coil
Moroso Wires
MP SBEC
180 stat
Bosch Platnum Plugs

Best times before JBA's, 180 stat, Moroso's, and the Accell Coil

16.078 @ 85.54

Best mph

86.48

Best 60'

2.458

Best 1/8

10.406 @ 69.56 (best mph is 69.62)

That said......here's how I did tonight...

Best time

16.416 @ 85.70

Best mph

86.00

Best 60'

2.585

Best 1/8

10.702 @ 67.79 (best mph is 68.21)

Okay, now how I run. Tailgate down, no spare, 1/4 - 3/8 tank of gas on the
other times I have. Tonight I ran w/out a tailgate, no spare, 1/2 - 5/8
tank of gas. Drive around water, short burnout to clean the tires, launch
at 1100, walk it off the line, tires spin for short time (.1 sec or so),
grab and go. I shift at 5100, o/d off. Did that tonight and before.
Times before were run in the morning 60 - 70 degrees, 20 - 30% humidity.
Tonight it was about 80 degrees, 40% humidity (guessing at the humidity).

Run 1 was against a 95(?) fullsize Chevy CC 350 auto, totally stock
w/passenger along for the ride(could hardly do a dry hop!!). We ran
heads-up 'cause it was a test and tune.

                Me Mr. Shivvy

R/T .633 .911

60' 2.626 2.483

1/8 10.729 10.851
                68.21 65.09

1000 13.814 14.097

1/4 16.418 16.877
                86.00 80.70

In words... I pulled him at the light, did the normal tire slip thing, and
then it felt like I lost 10-20 ft/lbs of torque since I went last time I
raced - not much power under 3000 rpm. At 60', he had me by a truck
length, then hit 3000 rpm (1st gear) a little later, and it took off like a
bat out of hell!! Why do I have more midrage, yet less low end torque with
just mainly a header change? I won't go into detail with the other runs,
cause they felt the same...especially the fact I feel I lost power under
3000rpm.

Okay, so the questions - were is my low end torque?!?!?!?! And why am I
going so much slower? I can understand a few tenths from the weather, but
I thought that the JBA's would more than offset the differencein the
weather. Now I'm wondering if it is the JBA's fault.

I did run a Duster with a almost stock 360 (talked to him afterwards) - he
ran 13.3's!! If it means anything, I did watch 2 Chevy racecars blow parts
across the track...OOPS!! Oh well. Got to watch 2 turbo Buicks, a white
sunroof car and a black GNX, both were street cars, and looked pretty tame.
They ran 12's at 110+ or so. VERY impressive!

At the CJ7, if you care to know....It's an 85 with a 258 six and a 4-speed.
 It's built for torque. We put some 235/70's on the back, so it looked
sort of goofy since we left the 33 x 12.50's up front. It's got an open
rear and 3.55's. It ran a best of 19.07 at 65.67 mph. I guess that's good
for a Jeep. It was funny to see the look on the track workers faces, as
well as the crowds'. We're going take my other friends 4 cyl Wrangler next
time.

I had fun, but wondered if I should just rip the JBA's off or not. Or is
it something else?? Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

Brian