Re: Radar Detectors... Or... How to Beat VA's law...

From: Jerod J. Husvar (jerodh@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 05 1998 - 10:48:08 EDT

DakListers,

With all this discussion about radar detectors in Virginia, I figured it
was time for my subversive, counter-culture, sneaky nature to rear it's
ugly head and pass along a trick taught to me by truck drivers. (It is
against federal law to use a radar detector in a tractor-trailer,
commercial bus, and most other commercial vehicles.

Seeing as how those of us that do use radar detectors have probably
invested a minimum of $50, more like $100, or if you have a Valentine,
up to $400, losing one or seeing it smashed is gonna hurt, so here is
what you do. Buy yourself a big manila envelope, and address it to
yourself. Put the return address also to yourself, and put a postage
stamp on it. Keep this handy, the map pockets in the doors work nice in
your Dak... Now, when you get the blue & reds behind you, toss the
detector in the envelope and seal it. Congratulations, the only one
other than the recipient who can open US Mail is the Postmaster General,
and I doubt he's going to come out because some Virginia Redneck Patrol
wants him there. If he does open it, he has committed at least 2
felonies.

Simple, easy, effective, and truely Civil Disobediance at work.