death of the R/T and "R/T controversy"

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 13 1999 - 00:10:42 EST

   I got the latest edition of MPN in the mail today, and there
is an article in there about Dodge and the R/T designation. As
a part of the article, they mentioned that "R/T" originally
stood for "Road and Track", so I guess we can officially put
that particular controversy behind us. :-)

  Also, the article confirmed what Bob Tom had mentioned on the
list earlier. That is, Dodge is planning on a commitment to
performance, and will be making an R/T version of every
vehicle "where appropriate". Currently, the R/T products
are the Viper R/T 10, the Neon R/T, and of course, the Dakota
R/T. The R/T Neon will go away at the end of 1999, but it will
be back in the new bodystyle as a 2001 model (for sale in 2000),
along with the new Intrepid R/T. (I don't have the article in
front of me at the moment, but that 6-cyl Intrepid will be making
something like 225-245hp! That's more than the Dak... I wonder
how the weight compares? Guess we'd better get on the ball now
or risk being spanked by Auntie Em in her grocery getter! :-)
Anyway, there is also the Caravan R/T (225hp) concept and of
course the Charger R/T concept which was NOT at the Toronto auto
show. (grrrr...)

  Anyhoo, a while ago, someone said that their dealer had told them
that the Dakota R/T wasn't going to be produced anymore. Given
what Dodge is saying in this article, that doesn't seem likely.
(Whew! I knew there was some Dak content in here somewhere!) :-)

                                              -Jon-