Pioneer radio in DAK

From: Parker, Jon (jparker@grci.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 08:12:57 EST

I installed a Pioneer DEH-P86DHR AM/FM/CD player in my DAK. This is one of
their radios that is sized to be a perfect fit in Chrysler vehicles (and it
does fit quite nicely). I am having a problem with a "hum" noise that seems
to be coming from the detachable faceplate, near the volume buttons (I get
no extraneous noise from the speakers). The noise is not as loud at first,
but the longer the radio or CD player is operated, the louder it gets. The
noise goes away when the truck is off, and when I detach the face while the
unit is on. Also, the pitch of the noise can be altered slightly be
pressing on the faceplate near the volume buttons. The noise is loud enough
that it is unacceptable. I have triple-checked the wiring, it seems
correct. The unit operates properly otherwise. A technician I talked to on
the phone suggested it was likely hum from the power supply in the
faceplate. He said as the manufacturers try and have the display on the
faceplates do more and more, they need more power and they have a hard time
getting a "good" power supply into such a small area. He said it might be
normal sound for the model, or it might be defective.

My questions to fellow DAK owners are: Has anyone else installed this model
stereo into their DAK and have they had any problems? How about another
model from Pioneer's Chrysler "perfect fit" line? Any "hum" from these? Is
anyone aware of any wiring issues I should know about? It seems
straightforward enough.

Thanks. So far I've got 650 miles on my DAK and it's great!

Jon Parker
Annandale, VA

'99 4x4 CC 5.2L Auto Sport+