Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow - the answer

From: Mitzi & David Fishman (fish@ihot.com)
Date: Sun Mar 21 1999 - 04:33:21 EST

I answered my own question (how does the magnaflow sound different from
a flowmaster?), by having my 3 chamber flowmaster replaced by an 18"
magnaflow. First think you notice is that if you rap on both mufflers
with a wrench, you hear that the flowmaster is sounds hollow and the
magnaflow sounds like it's full of something (shredded stainless steel
and sound deadening material). Secondly, if you look into the inlet of
the flowmaster, you see a diversion plate, but the magnaflow is straight
through. Sound...now here's where it's totally individual preference.
The flowmaster had a tinny, hollow, almost raspy sound at idle and full
throttle. The magnaflow sounds more civilized. Almost quiet at idle,
but when you get on it, it really barks. I call the sound "mature". Of
course, it helped to put an 18" long 3" diameter chrome tip, exiting in
the stock location. I think the magnaflow sounds much smoother and more
"tuned" than the flowmaster, and I'm sticking with it.

If you like the sound of flowmasters...go for it. I, personally,
thought the flowmaster on my V8 sounded cheap.

So, there you have it...several mufflers have selflessly given their
lives so that others may live.

Later,
fish
99SLT+4x4ccv8