Re: Bad PepBoys Experience

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 21:24:05 EST

At 05:43 PM 3/24/99 , you wrote:
>I went into Pepboys today to pick up a 180 degree thermostat, and so I went
>to the parts department. I told them I had a 1993 Dodge Dakota w/ a V-8. He
>looked at me and said "Son, do you nkow whar you are doing?" and I said
>"Trying to buy a 180 degree thermostat and a gasket" This went on for 3 of 4
>minutes! He told me the computer might read it wrong and something could go
>wrong. I would tell him that I know of some people who have done the same
>thing to their Dakotas. Finally, he called his manager up to the front, we
>talked for a few minutes, and finally he sold me the thing! As I was leaving
>he said "Your doin' this at your own risk, we arent takin no responsobility"
>Sheesh, what a hassle. Maybe I will try AutoZone next time =)

 This isn't the first time I've heard of someone having an experience like
this at Pep Boys. I don't know if its just a coincidence or wether they're
all like that, but when I bought my 180 degree thermostat at Parts America,
it was short 'n sweet. The guy pulled up the '96 V8 Dakotas on the
computer; it listed several different thermostats. I told him I wanted a
180 degree t-stat. He made a note of the part number, pulled it off the
shelf along with the appropriate gasket, I gave him my 6 bucks, he gave me
my receipt and said "have a nice day". So far, my experiences with the
local Parts America have been excellent. (I can buy and exchange Craftsman
tools there too, which is nice.) An AutoZone just opened near me, but I've
only been there once. (Went there for the first time tonight, actually.)
Everyone there was very helpful and friendly, but its a new store, so maybe
they were over compensating. :-) Only time will tell.

                                               -Jon-