Re: RE: Re: RE: 24# Injectors?

From: Tom & Fern Moffat (tomm@datarecall.net)
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 17:02:51 EDT

>Charles,
>agreed, although big injectors dont slow you down (on the 360 magnum)...
saw
>a 6hp increase @ 4900rpm with big injectors 270cc @ 87% duty ccyle and
>43psi, stock is 232cc @82% duty cycle (max)) no fuel pressure mods... 360s
>have the same injectors as the 318s. with that, the duty cycle on the 360
@
>WOT is greater. With stock injector variations you can find a "weak" unit
>that will not increase flow rate as it reaches the peak duty cycle allowed
>by the PCM (80%)... I agree with you re: 318s even a weak stock injector
>should flow enough to supply a mildly modded 318. With a free flow exhaust
>and a 700cfm TB, I could feel one of my injectors potentially "hanging" at
>very extended WOT (would you buy a used truck from this man...). The Lucas
>disk injectors (p/n 03764aa) have much less injector to injector variations
>and help smooth out the idle as compared to an unmatched set of Siemens or
>Bosch pintle style injectors. One thing is for certain, the magnum engines
>dont behave a thing like a GM motor when it comes to mods... totally
>different controllers, sensors and philosophies on how to meet the smog
regs
>and get the motor to meet its specs... Almost opposites in a lot of
>respects... Whish I had more dyno time to test the injectors, but I can
say
>they didnt slow me down!
>BKB

Charles,
I run24#s in my 92 318. I do use a regulator on the return line. This has
indeed helped me. When I switched back to the 19s for experimentation, the
motor fell flat above 5000. with the 24s and a little less FP-33psi; it
pulled hard to 6000. The motor definetly needed more fuel. I once went back
to the stock reg to do some more exp. with the 24s and it ran way too rich.
Performance was really soggy below 4500. I adjust my FP in accordance with
weather. In the summer I drop it to about 30psi@idle, cold air-36psi. That's
the nice thing about having adjustability. ( bear in mind my mods=ported
heads,M1,exhaust,bored t-body,N2O)
In theory, you'll make more power being slightly lean,but only slightly. Too
lean and your motor will fall on its face and detonate due to higher temps.
Too rich and it soaks up power. The key is getting the right balance! ;)
Tom(11s dak)