Questions from a new Dak owner...

From: Eric Rhyder (rhyder@email.com)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 17:22:24 EST

Hi everyone,

    I've had my '99 Dak Sport 4x4 CC for about a week now. Aside from putting
about 600miles on it so far, and only getting about 15MPG, I've got a couple
questions you guys might be able to answer.

1. For some reason, when I sit at a stop light and get ready to pull out, it
pops out of gear. (not all the time, just occasionally.) Now, I don't know if
its me (not putting it in gear all the way), or if its a problem with the
transmission. Has this happened to anyone else? (I've got the 5-speed manual)

2. My dak seems to have a very rough idle (sorry I can't explain it any
further.) My mechanic was looking it at it, and according to him, "something
doesn't sound right." He'll be putting it up on the lift next week, and maybe
he'll be able to narrow it down.

3. engine pinging - The engine seems to ping at just about all speeds, but only
when I got my foot on the gas. I talked to another dak owner today (also has
his own garage) and he said that the pinging wasn't coming from the engine, but
that on his, the pinging was coming from the exhaust vibrating underneath the
cab? Has this happened to anyone?

Aside from these few problems, I'm very happy with my truck. I plan on adding a
K&N filter charger as soon as they release it (my mechanic called up K&N, and
the person he spoke with said its not available yet, but they do have a part #
available. They expect they'll have them for sale in about a month.)

Anyone know of any other mods that will increase fuel efficiency? I'll be
putting the synthetic gear oil (Mobil 1 - 75w90) into the differentials
tomorrow, and I'll be putting Castrol Syntec into the engine just as soon as its
broken in. I know the dak I chose wasn't the most "fuel efficient" vehicle to
chose, but where I live (10 miles to the nearest store) the roads here are
treacherous in the winter, so I needed a decent 4x4.. and the SUV's just don't
thrill me.

Regards,
    Eric