Front axle limited slip (was Swiftrapids 4x4 ride)

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 07:10:53 EDT

> Hey Jason
> Great to hear you did so well. As soon as my dealer can come up with the
> missing pieces parts for my front and fuel tank skid plates I
> intend to get
> out and try my Dak on some of the rougher stuff. Are you running
> LSD?

I have the utmost respect for controlled substance legislation.

Oh, wait, I see what you're asking :-). Yes, the '98 has a factory limited
slip in the rear.

The '95 doesn't have it. I'm going to wait until Powertrax releases their
new No-Slip differential and put it into the '95.

> Buying
> my 4X was a spur of the moment kind of thing so I didn't get some options
> that I now wish I had. Stuff like tow hooks, skid plates, and
> limited slip.

That's all very good stuff to have. If you're just doing dirt or gravel
roads you might not need it, but if you're going where we were yesterday I'd
say don't hit the trail without tow hooks (front and rear -- receiver hitch
counts), skid plates and limited slip. We also need to replace the Goodyear
RT/S tires. (The Cherokee that got stuck where we didn't was running the
same tires, only slightly smaller.)

> Am going to investigate various lockers for the rear and limited
> slip for the
> front soon. Anyway... glad to hear you had a good time and flew our Dak
> colors proudly!!
>
> Chief

Everything that I've read indicates that trying to put a limited slip in the
front isn't a very good idea. Something to do with the fact that our front
axle doesn't fully disconnect when you go back in 2wd. I think one side is
still connected to the transfer case, just not the other side of the axle (I
could be wrong in this, hopefully someone will correct me if I am). Putting
an LSD up front is supposed to do really strange things to your steering on
the street. I believe that the only option is something like an ARB air
locker that you can turn off at will. Unfortunately, I don't think they
make one for the front.

While I'm thinking of the front axle, anyone know if it's possible to get a
gear ratio lower (numerically larger) than the factory 3.9 up there?

Thanks

Jason Bleazard
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd