New to list

From: Ron Slakie (slakie@erols.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 19:01:39 EDT

I am currently a Ram owner and have been a member a member of the DiRT
mailing list for a year. I am considering selling my 98 Ram 2500 4x4 and
buying a Dakota 4x4 extra cab. I am undecided about trying to get a 99
Dakota or waiting to get a 00. I have read some reviews on the Dakota and
they
claimed that the 5.2 was a gas guzzler and at the same time I have heard
also that the 00 model will have the new 4.7 instead of the 5.2. I have
read an article on the 4.7 and it does appear to have some technological
updates but the article didn't mention anything about gas mileage. Does
anyone out there have any experience with the 4.7, I believe it was
available in the Ram Cherokee this year. Also does anyone know about
the earliest dates for ordering the 00 model; and if there are any
options to stay away from when ordering. If I opt for a 99 I'd like to get
5.2 with a 5 speed and a lot of other bells and whistles; when I got my
Ram I had to order it to get a 5 speed since there wasn't a 5 speed to
be found anywhere in northern Virginia. Is the situation the same with
the Dakotas? Appreciate your help.