RE: My thoughts on the TB issue...really really long sorry!

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 1999 - 08:45:24 EDT

Tony,

<snip>
But I don't see how "that other guy" as someone wrote can be compared to our
products
<snip>

With all due respect here, the "other guy", Jules of Magnum Performance,
makes modified Throttle Bodies (among other items) just like you, Frank,
Bruce, and R&D, and has a great product. I know, I own one of his TB's.
The main reason for comparison is to give people an idea of what the
differences are (HP, TQ, and Performance stats). Without any sort of
comparison, we'd all be stuck buying the same thing (which is good for
whoever gets the job) but bad for people who want different options or
performance characteristics. I agree, it is hard to compare a CNC machined
TB to a hand worked TB but please bear in mind that Jules does have a patent
pending on his TB and his hand work is incredible as compared to machine
work. This doesn't mean that his is better than F&B, QuickD, or R&D...it
just means that he has something which is special about his work. The same
thing goes for yours as well as the rest of the people building them. Each
one is special in their own way. This is why I again stress on the reason
for comparison.

Who actually has done a personal (or Dyno) comparison on the TB's? Run a
stock one, run Jules', run F&B's, and run a QuickD model. Then, check the
figures and compare them to each other.

Now, let's take a step back now and look at what the industry does in
general. (As an example) Take JET vs. HyperTech vs. Mopar on their
computers. Same scenario: All do the same basic functions, but one has a
better HP, one has more options (programmer), and one...well...when it's
finally released...may be better than both of the others. They all may very
well be within a few HP and TQ points of each other but there will be one
that fits whatever the consumer wants.

Not to ramble on anymore, i've emailed you privately as well so this is all
i'm writing on the DML.

Regards,

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX