rebuilt engine options... HELP!

From: Michael Sykes (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 21:48:05 EDT

okay guys, I come to you for guidance..

since I will NOT go magnum (Boog), I have a few questions for those who may have done the whole "new engine" thing.

Here is what I've been thinkin' about:
getting a rebuilt premag 6er. Here's the thing...where? I know I can probably order one at Advance Auto parts, but is an auto parts store engine a good one? I know I can probably get a short block from the dealer, but really, who has that kind of money. Who else could I get a short block from? I'm thinkin' about a boneyard and sending it to a machine shop. From there I will get the cylinders bored (not much..gotta' pass a sniffer), new pistons, Magnum heads, then transfer all my stuff from there. I'm sure my crank and cam are aiight enough to transfer over to a new motor.... I hope...

Can you get an engine with everything but heads? I'm afraid that my shafts (crank and cam) aren't up to snuff for a new motor....
sigh...

HELP!! ANYONE!!

-mike d.