Rear Gears & what not

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 09:21:35 EDT

DML,

In the fog that is my normal morning routine, I was thinking about rear gear
ratios (don't ask!)

Anyway, I was wondering what type (ratio) of gears are used in a sports car
(say Viper or Porsche) compared to a non-sport, yet still fast, car like a
police cruiser.
Thought process being somewhat like this:

" Well a sports car has a higher reving engine ie: higher redline, so they
can get away with a high gear ratio - 3.9 or 4.1 + say - so they get the
quick launch, but with the higher rev, can still run top end at 140-150 mph.
But what about a police cruiser? Those police trim Caprice cruisers are
pretty friggin' quick off the line, and I would guess they can run top end
at say 110-120 mph? Those are not particularly high rev engines, so how do
they gear them to get the quick launch, and still retain the top end speed?
"

Do they have some kind of secondary overdrive? Am I off the target on the
cruiser top end of 120 mph? I'm just trying to take some practical
applications and look at those in relation to our Daks... not trying to
figure out how to outrun the man!

Thanks DML'ers

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI