Motor Trend "Muscle 2000" Comparison (Kinda Long)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 09:20:42 EDT

Well, Motor Trend went at it again and took the top "Muscle Cars/Trucks" and
put them to the test.

They include:

Chevy Camaro SS
Ford Mustang GT
Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Ford SVT Lightning
Dodge Dakota R/T

All of the vehicles performed very well (and very impressive) with the
exception of the R/T. This is a quote from the article:

"...But soon found myself parroting the old lady in the classic Wendy's
commercial...'Where's the Beef?'"

"...Even more embarrassing: This '99 Dakota 5.9 R/T was 0.4 second slower
0-60 than the 300-plus-pound-heavier 2000 Dakota SLT Quad-Cab (4.7L)."

"As for muscle car prowess, however, the Dakota 5.9 R/T was out-classed in
this field. We include it because we thought it the quickest Dodge under
$30,000, but the heavier 2000 Dakota SLT Quad-Cab's amazing 0-60 advantage
blows it out of the water. While not exactly a sheep in wolf's clothing,
the 5.9 R/T doesn't completely fulfill its performance pretensions.
Memo to Dodge: Install a bored-and-stroked" version of the 4.7 SOHC V-8 and
try again."

This is a sad day for Dakota owners...I think we need a moment of silence
for this.....

If anyone want to read the full article, it's in the December 1999 Issue -
Page 36 for the R/T.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
1997 Dodge Dakota SLT/CC - 2WD