RE: leaking tranny

From: Jon Winkelhake (jon_w@tjhale.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 08:56:23 EST

Chris - There was a lot of talk about the "manual transmission fluid
mystery" several weeks ago (maybe a month?) on the DML. Dig through the
archives, because we've got the same truck and I had the fluid changed TWICE
in mine. The first was by Pep Boys, who told me it takes automatic
transmission fluid (?!?), and a day later it wouldn't shift right. So I took
it to a dealer and they said there were 3 different types of fluid that
could be used in that transmission, and they had to special order it from
the factory! Needless to say, I got a refund from Pep Boys, and they also
paid for half of the re-change at the dealer. (I caught it early enough that
there wasn't any damage done :-)
        Where did you have yours changed? I'd take it to a dealer ASAP and have
them take a look at it. If the wrong fluid was used, and is causing the seal
failure, get a detailed report of all the damage that has occured, have the
dealer sevice manager sign it, and take it back to the place you had it
done. Hopefully they will make good with full replacement of all parts and
all costs involved. Save ALL your receipts & good luck!

Jon W., Milwaukee (jon_w@tjhale.com)
'94 CC SLT V6 5sp

By the way - how many miles were on it when you had it changed, and how many
miles are on it now? This shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.
The dealer can probably tell you one way or the other.