Too many batteries?

From: Jon Winkelhake (jon_w@tjhale.com)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 08:26:56 EST

O.K. Dakkers, I have a general question. I went out to start my Dak the
other day, when low & behold the battery was dead! Didn't leave the lights
on, it ran fine the day before, and the voltmeter on the dash was straight
up in the middle where it always is. No problem, had a new one put in and
all is fine.......well sort of.
        This is now the THIRD battery I've had to replace in the truck, in only
67,000 miles! The (factory) original went south after only a year of driving
highway miles, and the second one that just quit made it about 4 years. Now
I'm on my third, and starting to wonder if this is a case of a bad string of
batteries, or if anyone else out there has had the same problems?
        FYI - Up until recently, the truck (unfortunately) has never been garaged
(my wife & I have always had an apartment), and when we got married we moved
to Chicago, so it's been through 4 winters there, outside the whole time.
Since we've been in Milwaukee, we've had it in underground parking now. Any
input would be helpful!

Jon W. (jon _w@tjhale.com)
'94 CC SLT V6 5sp