Terrible mileage problem

From: Robert France (robert@srpl.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 01:40:24 EST

Hello! or more appropriately HELP!!! HELP??? HELP!!!

I'm a new subscriber to the Dakota list. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I
have a background in sonar electronics, and help a friend campaign a 1973
Dodge Colt in SCCA SPM class (turbo fuel-injected 2.4)

My brother recently bought a used 1991 Dakota Club Cab 4X4 318 auto.
The original owner told him that it has 3.91 axles. He has been getting
REALLY bad mileage; in the order of 140mi per 16gal of fuel (8.75mpg?!?!?)

I myself own a (excuse me please) Ford 1994 F-150 and I can generally get
about 220mi on 14.5gal of fuel (15mpg avg.). My truck has 302, od auto,
3.54 gears, and 31" tires.

I'm not trying to be an annoying Ford owner intending on
big-three-battling, I'm just trying to help my brother sort out this fuel
mis-management problem he is experiencing; to me, the two trucks should get
somewhat comparable mileage, and there is no real reason for the Dakota to
be getting such bad mileage (almost half!), or is there a reason I'm not
aware of?!?

I would like to ask the Dakota list members for their suggestions and help.
If anyone would like to volunteer any guesses, suggestions, diagrams,
knowledge, personal experiences, anything related to this problem, please
post the list, or send suggestions to me at

robert@srpl.com

Thank you to everyone in advance,

Robert France