RE: 4.7L Throttle Body-Re: Steven Ekstrand

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 08:49:02 EDT

Steven, Wow, I agree ! One thing though, The 4.7L TB already flows about
600-650 cfm, that is more than adequate for 287 cubes. I would prioritize
the PCM and cams before the TB, You are right, the TB mods will gain almost
nothing, there is very little room to "bore" the 4.7L TB. As you said,
"chasing the last couple of CFM out of your throttlebody" for all that money
is nothing more than "I have a 500 dollar TB". The first thing to do for HP
is the air intake, The cat back exhaust are not going to give you much (2-5
hp), unless you go with a highly modded system from headers to Y-pipe to
cats, complete deal, you will see some notable power increase. after the
intake, go for the PCM, this will give you atleast 15-20 hp. Next would the
cams. The specs on the factory cam leave alot on the table. After the cams,
The usual 180 tstat, Synthetic fluid, and plugs would also apply along the
way. After the exhaust, I'd go with the Jet Perf. underdrive pulleys.
after these mods, you start getting into major bucks, some with minimal
gains: TB, custom lower intake( multiple TB's ?), ,custom ported heads,
ignition system, SC'r.

I have followed this order so far:

1. Synthetic Oil/lube, plugs ($50) Done
2. Air intake ($75) Done
3. Cat back Exhaust ($175)

At this point I'm around 250 hp (210 @ RW)

4. Custom PCM ($400) Next Week
5. 180 t stat ($5) Next Week

After the PCM and t-stat should be around 265 HP

      Future mods
6. Custom ground cams (???)
7. Headers, Cats, complete the system
8. Clutch work
9. Underdrive pulleys
10. TB
11. Ignition system upgrade

The chassis mods would have to come under a different table (Slicks, shocks,
Caltracs, traction bars, ect.ect.)

Matt--VA--Y2K-HEMI `00 Sport Plus RC
4.7L 5spd. 9 1/4 3.92 LSD, Homemade air intake,
T-Bars, Spring clamps, Mobil 1,Hoosiers
3" Flowmaster cat-back,14.48 @ 92.40 MPH
209.9 RWHP/285 RWTQ
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ