MAJOR Dakota electrical problems! PLEASE!!

From: William H. Hiatt III (e@e.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 01:16:00 EST

Well. I'm having the most bizarre electrical problems with the Dakota
lately. Never had any problems electrically. 1 week ago, I took her for a
spin, and the AC just quit. Then the power doorlocks quit. So I took her to
the dealer and $90 they said the battery clamps that hook onto the battery
terminals were stretched, it's my fault, etc. Fixed that one. Well, 3 days
later, I was driving at night, and the lights on the AC/HEATER panel start
to flicker a little. 5 minutes later, same symptoms. Lights on the AC/HEATER
panel aren't on with the headlights on, nor is the cigarette/power outlet
working. Turn the headlights off, the AC/HEATER panel lights turn on, and so
do the power outlet and cigarette lighter. Opening the doors doesn't trigger
the courtesy lights. Unlocking the doors via the keyless entry doesn't do a
thing, locking the doors just honks the horn. You can hear the CTM click
when you trigger an unlock/lock from the driver/passenger door switch. So I
took the dash apart, all wires seemed to be fine, sanded and checked ground
connections, etc.

Tonight, I went to start her up. Nothing. Turned the key all the way.
Nothing, it wasn't even attempting to crank. You heard the little fuel pump
or whatever go on though, and that's it. I finally got her to start after
the 10th time, and she barely started. Nothing appeared to be on to drain
the battery.

I'm guessing this is all related... I just need your help as to finding the
problem! I don't want to deal with the bullshit at the dealer anymore, I'm
sick of all of them, every dealer I go to hassles me about my modifications,
from Hotchkis to my stereo (Which has been in for over a year..... no
problems)

Thanks!
william