Re: Hyper Speed Controller

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 15:58:45 EST

That chart doesn't look like "light throttle acceleration" (not even
close). In fact, it looks like the majority of WOT dyno run charts that
I've seen. Only WOT (or at least heavy throttle accel) would explain the
lack of data points at or near the same MPH reading. How else could you
explain the greater than 100mph data points? Cruise conditions imply at or
near the same mph (or vacuum) readings.

Besides, I don't put alot of stock in dyno charts anyway. Your last comment
intrigues me tho. Especially due to the fact that I have NEVER seen
anything other than a near perfect 14.7:1 A/F on EVERY (late-model,
computer-controlled, modded or stock) vehicle I've tested. Your results I
have to question because every vehicle maker (producing vehicles made to be
used in most countries) is mandated by the federal governments to come as
close as possible to 14.7:1 A/F due to the catalytic converter efficiency
issue.

Almost all my tests were done with either a wide-band or a narrow-band O2
sensor in the exhaust stream. The tests were conducted on the road (cruise
control on and set at around 55mph) over a 2+ hour period datalogging the
values using either a scan tool or data acquisition equipment sampling at a
rate of 200+ times per second. The 2+ hours worth of data when averaged,
yielded almost exactly 14.7:1 A/F EVERY time. Since this agrees
w/everything I have read (as well as the federal mandate), it didn't raise
any suspicion (like your data).

The basis of my initial post was about the validity of the "HyperSpeed
Controller" and its ability to change A/F ratio during cruise conditions
(not enrichment, or WOT modes) to some arbitrary value set by the user.
Considering that the factory's narrow-band O2 sensor is all but USELESS when
reporting ANYTHING other than richer or leaner than stoich (14:7:1 A/F), I
stand by my assertion that it is "snake oil".

Study this document by the SAE (whom I base my assertion on). Pay
particular attention to the frequency response chart for the narrow-band O2
sensor. By its very definition, data outside this "narrow band" of response
is virtually useless and in practice varies greatly from sensor to sensor.

http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/servicetech/oxygen13-17.pdf

Latr,

Shane