No modified exhaust in NJ

From: Kenneth Eng (keng@novadigm.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 12:26:58 EDT

Yesterday I took my 98 Dak with a Gibson Split rear exhaust system in to the
NJ DMV for inspection. The DMV failed me for having a "modified exhaust"
system. I then went to speak to a manager about why a modified exhaust
system would cause a failure. I was told that if it isn't a stock looking
or stock sounding exhaust system it is reason for failure. They did not say
I failed because it was too loud but because it was an aftermarket exhaust
system.

I then went to a couple private inspection stations and they all told me
that in order for them to pass me I should put back on my stock system.
Good thing I kept the stock system.