Re: Was New Durango Now : (RANT!!! )

From: Canucker Trucker (flamindakman@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 11:13:13 EDT

> Because the industry is building "softer" 4x4s (most SUV's are AWD now
> too, instead of a 4x4 system), they are making it difficult for someone
> to buy a offroad capable set of wheels. Anyone who has taken a Dak off
> road knows that the IFS on the front end really does limit offroad
> capability. (most obvious is ground clearence)

A properly designed IRS system will outperform solid axles in any scenario.
The problem isn't IRS's .. its that they are being designed for lighter
duty. The Hummer is 4-wheel independent suspension isn't it? (I could be
wrong). And as for the ground clearance issue ... that's totally false ..
on a stock setup. With a solid axle, your lowest point is the big ugly diff
sticking out .. and the only way to raise that higher is with larger tires.
With IRS, the diff is not hanging nearly as low, infact, your centerline
ground clearance will be MUCH greater.

The biggest downside to IRS is its difficult to design for rugged durability
(like hitting a boulder on the axle while off-roading).

I personally would love to see an IRS dakota ... I'd probably trade mine in.
My ideal dak would be an awd, 4-wheel independent suspension, 5 or 6 spd
standard with the Hemi.... I'd buy that in an instant ... maybe two! :) But
I'm all about the speed in off roading ... rally racing and the like.
Wouldn't that be cool .. a dakota in the world rally championships! teach
the WRXs and ricers a lesson! ... ok, now I'm just rambling.

--
Canuck
Y2K, 4.7L, 2wd, 5spd, The Ultimate K&N HomeBrew, Flowmaster CatBack, Home