Wrangler RT/S to BFG Radial T/A?

From: Mierzejwski, Robert J. (rmierzej@telcordia.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 16:00:10 EDT

My 2000 CC 4.7 4x2 came with GY wrangler RT/S tires and I'm seriously
considering going to a more street friendly tire such as the BFG radial T/A
in 255/70 which will put me about +.18" taller. No big deal. I'm wondering
if anyone could predict what kind of performance change I should expect. I
am in NJ so I drive in some snow, but how much worse could the radial T/As
be compared to the crappy RT/S? I had trouble getting up a small slope in my
driveway with them. If the radial T/As would be horrible in any wet or snow
then I guess I'd have to stick with more of an all season LT tire. If so,
I'm considering either the Bridgestone Dueler A/T or the Dunlop Radial Rover
A/T, both in the 255/70R15 size. Has anyone used any of these tires after
the dreaded RT/S? If so, please share your experience.

Bobby