loosing freinds [ot, nvt, nvfrc]

From: Barry (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 13:34:34 EDT

Ok, sorry for the offtopic post, but I really need to vent. I have a bit
of a problem and would like to hear some opinions other than my own.

Background:
   I have been planning on attending the Road America Motorcycle races this
weekend for about a month.
[ http://www.roadamerica.com/2004/races/ama/index.htm ]
  The whole plan was to do this trip "on the cheap", ride the bike up [good
gas mileage] and stay in a motel using my freebie points, skip resturaunts
[powdered iced tea and MRE's], the whole bit, because, as some of you might
remember, I am still unemployed.
   Last Monday, one of my buddies decided he was going with me. In light
of this I expanded my motel reservation to two adults. Then, between
Monday and last night, the trip magically expanded to include another of my
buddies, not being able to leave until late friday morning [6+ hr drive]
and me suddenly being obligated to pay for 1/3 of the cost of renting a
8x16 enclosed trailer and 1/2 of the gas for the SUV [Grand Cherokee or
Jimmy, one of the two of them was going to drive, and whichever one
provided the vehicle would not spend any $$ on gas] to pull it, so the
other two can trailer their bikes up there. I also have to come up with
motel accomidations for a third guy. Knowing these two, this is likely to
turn into a "resturaunt tour" as well.

Current situation:
   Buddy #1 called me last night and was informing me of these changes when
I asked him to clarify the expenses part of this mess. He said he was
expecting me to pay 1/2 of the gasand 1/3 of the trailer rental in addition
to providing the room - The exact words he used were "the room dosen't
count because it was free, what are you trying to do, scam your buddies?".
  I was so shocked and pissed at this assertion that I was trying to scam
him that I just hung up on him. Just Monday, I had provided free tickets
to both of these buddies to the Springfield Mile, but those didn't count
either...

Caviat:
   I realize we are both wrong, me for letting myself get railroaded into a
big-production trip, and then reacting poorly when he said what he said.
[typically I avoid confrontations, leaving if required. He is a nose to
nose type of guy] He was wrong for deciding to spend my money without
telling me, and for what he said.

The aftermath:
   He called back and left me a voicemail slamming me for hanging up and
that he didn't want to put up with such childish behavior, and that he was
considering just ending our friendship. Even though he can be a royal
PITA, I hate to loose a friend and riding buddy. I have no plans to call
him back. This morning I called and cancelled my reservations and my
tickets. I hate to miss the race and everything, but the whole experience
is rather tainted, now.

Well, I await comments.

--
          -Barry

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think" -fortune cookie

DML: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Rb@6EE4xQAF2k/ Superhawk: http://barrysuperhawk.home.insightbb.com