Dealer Warranty Work

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 12:08:00 EST

<SNIP>
>don't mind so much when they are selling the car or truck, as they have
>vested interest and want you back. I know I bought my Dak out of town
and the
>local dealer would not work on it and I know them fairly well, just
couldn't
>deal with them. The dealer I bought my Dak from absolutley sucks for
service
>manager and I did not want to fight with the jerk anymore, Chrysler
called me
>one night about a service contract and I stopped at the local dealer to
>question some info I was given and he told me he could sell me the
service
>contract for the same price, and if I bought it from him they would do
any
>work on my vehicle, I bought the contract from them and no problems with
>service since.. I believe if within 50 miles of selling dealer then it
has to
>Bill

I'm not sure if this is entirely true. Back when I was shopping for
Dakotas, I went to two different dealers.. Ones only about 5 miles away,
the other one is about 25 miles away. I went to the closer one first,
and I couldn't get the financing numbers that I wanted from that
salesman, so I went to the dealer further away... He managed to make all
the numbers work, so I ordered the truck from them. Two days before it
came in, he called and said "it's on its way, it'll be here in two days,
and oh BTW, there's a problem with your financing! Needless to say, they
had screwed up on the deal (I had originally planned on leasing my Dak,
glad I didn't!)... turns out I ended up paying $100 a month MORE than the
original deal (and I was quite pissed).. long story short, I ended up
buying my Dak, not leasing, and I take it to the closer dealer (not the
one I bought it from) to get serviced... I'm even thinking about
removing the dealer decal off the tailgate (since they don't deserve the
advertising), not to mention I'll never go back to that other
dealership!! Anyway, I think you can get your warranty service work done
at *ANY* dealer, it just may be tougher to get them to do it if they
didn't sell you the truck...

P.S. What's the best way to remove that dealer decal?? Hair dryer?? I'd
have the other dealer do it, but then they'd want to put THEIR decal
on...

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone
MSD Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon!