Re: Idea for the web site

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 12:39:33 EDT

At 10:13 AM 6/2/97 +0000, Alan Casey wrote:

>> The Viper doesn't count it is still a Mopar but DO NOT admit to anything
else
>> beating you.. If a Ferd or Cheby beat up on you then there has to be a
>> logical excuse and nobody needs to know that. It probably won't happen
>> anyway..
>>

>Well I hate to admit it but I got beat by an
>eclipse at the track the other day. I thought I
>had him, left him behind at the start, but as
>soon as that turbo spooled up here he came, he
>crossed with a 14.6 me with a 14.9, damn! so much
>for a sure thing. I talked to him afterwards, he
>is in the process of building up his car and is
>looking for 12's before he stops. That's a whole
>lot of power from a 4-banger.

  Yep. :) I used to be one of those Diamond-Star guys...
When I was on the Stealth-3000GT list, we'd hear quite a bit
about our smaller siblings and their amazing feats. :)
I'm not sure if the Eclipse is AWD, but its hard to get a
front wheel drive car to hook up when you're shooting for
really fast times. (Weight transfers off the drive wheels as
you accellerate, as opposed to a rear wheel drive which transfers
weight to the drive wheels.) There are, however, some guys with Eagle
Talons (AWD) who are pulling 9's and 10's. Pretty scary stuff. :)

----
Bruce wrote:
>> I agree 100% never admit to defeat unless it is another Mopar.
>> Bruce
>>

>Well Bruce that won't lend a whole lot of
>credibility to your stories then.  I have been
>beat many times by Ford's, Chevy's and even
>Mitsubishi's, but they paid for the privilege and
>have my respect.  Fortunately since we all drive
>Dakota's we tend to win more than we loose.

Yep. :) There are quite a few cars out there that will chew us up and spit us out. However, most of them are a lot more expensive, and almost none of them are trucks. :) So, we will get beat from time to time. When you look at the broad spectrum though, the Dak is faster than the *vast* majority of the cars (and trucks) out there.

I think that not admitting to defeat is in itself, self-defeating. You lose credibility and lower your standards... When I envision someone who won't admit defeat, I picture some punk in a Mustang 5.0 with his baseball cap on backwards and his rap (or insert the latest fad here) music blasting out of what is probably his most expensive upgrade. ;) If you only recognize only those who are inferior to you, how can you expect to become better if you only look down, and don't reach up for goals that are beyond your present abilities? Reach for the Z's and the Formulas; when you get there, reach even higher...

Yuk; I'd better get off this soap box, the thin air up here is making me dizzy. :)

P.S. I apologize to those of you who actually own Mustangs. :) I know that not all Mustang owners are like that, but its a personal stereotype that has developed over the years. Its just that, from my personal observations, (and IMHO), the Mustang is the most successful (automotive) punk magnet ever created. :)

P.S.S. While I'm on the topic of Mustangs, I saw an old Ford Ranger this Sunday whos owner had stuck "5.0" bits from a mustang on the sides. Funny stuff; I think it must have been a v6 or possibly a 4. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to call his bluff. :)

-Jon-

Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -. | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ | | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R | `---------------------------------------------------------------------' I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.