Found my truck (was: Introduction)

From: Rupert Horn (rupert.horn@ucop.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 07 1997 - 20:29:06 EDT

Steve sed:
"Run far and hide. I picked up mine (Club Cab 4X4, the only option I
don't have is the automatic and the anti-lock brakes) for $22629,
before TTL."
-Well Steve, I didn't have to run too far.
Found my truck, I think, at Negherbon Dodge in Okieland, CA.
A '98 Dakota SLT Plus V8 5-speed manual w/all the "goodies":
25G pkg.
ADJ - Heavy Duty svc grp.
AGB - Tire & Handling grp.
AHC - Tow pkg.
AJL - Overhead Convenience grp.
BGK - ABS
DMD - 3.55 axle
DAZ - Anti slip
LNJ - Fog Lights
K17 - Side moulding.
RAZ - Stereo
M5 - Buckets
JPS - 6-way pwr seat.
Quoted price, $20,671.00, plus T&L.
Will take about eight (8) weeks to order.
Will have to formalize it w/the OL, but that's just a curtesy.
Some things I thought were a bit on the high side. For example;
$302.00 for the HD service grp vice 153 invoice & $180.00 MSRP & $272.00
for the bucket
seat(s) vice $170.00 invoice & $200.00 MSRP.
Everything else was priced @ invoice.

To answer some questions:

Bob T sed:

Bruce wanted to know:
"All I can say is you want have to worry about a Dak dying at 100k, you've
tried the rest, now try the best.
-The '87 S-15 had a known flaw, a little something about fraternization
b'twixt the oil and cooling systems.

"BTW why aren't you getting 4WD if it is to replace a 4WD? Maybe it's just
because I love 4X4's so much but I would suggest you get it....."
-The reason is that I really have no need f/a 4x4. I bought the S-15 new in
'87 I can just about count the number of times I used the 4wd on one hand.

"Don't know from personal experience, but a lot of people on the list have
Gibson duals on their Daks and seem quite content with them.."
-I "ended up" w/the 4x4 by accident. During the time I was awaiting
delivery of the truck GM had "another" one of their strikes. I had
originally ordered a 2wd.
The salesman found the 4x and it had all the options I had ordered, so they
gave me the 4x for the same price as the 2x I had ordered. One thing I
liked about the 4x4 was the increased visibility due to it's height. I'll
miss that.

"I would go w/ black to much of anything (purple) isa bad thing."
-I did.
Saw, what I thought was one, the other day. Nice looking truck.
And w/the black grill it looks, well, cool.
(can things still be "cool" when your 47?)
Then again, I've decided to trade in my purple Camaro so I'll be a purple
down.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

MikeT opined:
"I read some messages about governors on Dakotas a while back. I have a 97'
Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4 Club Cab. It has loads of power and I love to race
those puny stangs and the like but when I reach 110mph I cannot accelerate
anymore. I assumed that this was my top speed (being a truck after all,
geared for low end torque I assume not high end HP) Is this true or am I
being stopped by a governor. I hate to see them pass me when i hit this
speed!"
-More of another question for the experts rather than a response.
Is there not a Hypertech Programmer Plus, or other some such animal,
available
that would override the factory setting(s)?