Dealer and shop manual question

From: Phil Caskey (pcaskey@conelec.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 15:07:35 EST

Please forgive me if I'm repeating old issues here, but I'm in need of some
assistance. I've been lurking on the list for two months and haven't really
seen anything quite like my situation.

On 11/25/97, I ordered a 98 CC SLT+ 4x4. The dealer said there was an off
chance of my getting it by the end of December since they had an allocation
for 2 trucks. I didn't think that was realistic, but they said it would be
6-8 weeks otherwise and that seamed reasonable. Two weeks later, I called
back to see what the status was and they said it was "being built" at that
time. End of December seemed out, but I figured the 6-8 weeks seemed likely
if it were in the building stage then. Well, 7.5 weeks have passed, and
each week since #2 the truck's status has remained "being built". For me to
get the truck by Friday (8 weeks), it would certainly be in the shipping
stage by now.

Meanwhile, I asked the dealer to order a copy of the shop manual for the
truck, and they acted like I was speaking Martian. "Uh... Whaddya mean?",
and "Well, we have manuals that covers all the vehicles by system, but not
one for all the systems in a particular vehicle". Now I've purchased two
other vehicles (not Chrysler) for which shop manuals were not a problem. Is
it the case that Chrysler is different? (Please forgive me if I don't trust
this dealer...)

Anyway, is there a way to verify when (or, God forbid, if) the dealer
placed the order? I have heard of other cases where dealers neglect to
place the order in hopes the customer will buy off the lot. Or is there a
way to get more information that "it's being built?"

Once again, sorry if I'm re-hashing old topics. Any guidance will be
greatly appreciated. I think you all might understand if I'm *really*
anxious to get my new truck.

Phil Caskey