318 - 360 interchange; was Cat question

From: David Brown (dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 13:08:30 EST

>As to the 318 and the R/T 360 looking the same on the outside, there are
subtle differences to the trained eye. The biggest differences are that the
318 is INTERNALLY balanced and the 360 is EXTERNALLY balanced and a lot of
the parts will interchange you just have to be aware of which parts will
have to be given special balancing depending on what's changed. The exhaust
will interchange with each other,so will the heads. Which makes me think,
considering the 360 has the big valves- that would sure wake-up the 318,
unless the MAGNUM engines already have the big valves??
Good info. Let me add: Make sure the head combustion chambers are not larger
(more cc) for the 360 heads, otherwise the compression ratio will drop. Maybe
good for super or turbo charging.

--
David Brown          Mailto:dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu