Throttle body mods - RPM? MPI?

From: Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 07:24:49 EDT

>Magnum Performance sez:
<snip>
>we have all the tooling, etc. we might be willing to consider a DML
>"do-it-ur-self" tbi kit. other than bragging rights... and hey... we all
>like them... of the "I... did it my self!" my econ tbi at $200 is miles
>ahead of a sears do-it-ur-self-drummel-job" and at $59.95 for a good
>drummel kit and no damaged parts and a WHOLE lot more modifications...
>and no bench time OR... mistakes/damaged parts... maybe a bunch cheaper,
>too. but in any event... you get a much better job with a lot MORE metal
>removed.

Real Per4mance sez:

     Ok..we're gonna do *this* again? Jules...I got nothin' against you or
your products. Fact is, on a percentage basis, most that I've heard from
that have purchased MPI throttle bodies have been *more* than satisified.
*But* to say the MPI econ throttle body is "miles ahead of a sears
do-it-ur-self-drummel-job" is really pretty impetuous on your part. You've
never seen my work, or anybody else's, that's been happy with their
results. Mine may not be "Professional" pretty but it gets the job done
and (assuming I could afford the down time on the truck) I'd flowbench it
against anything else out there any day. My home job (and I haven't even
*begun* to get into the thing yet) is I'm sure partly responsible for the
truck runnin' as well as I feel it has. 14.9s (2.2 60') in a '97 with
little more than a muffler and air cleaner ain't so bad.

I wouldn't count the cost of the dremel against the mod since most that do
this mod at home already have the tool and it sure in the hell does a lot
more than port throttle bodies. So...you've got the cost of a sanding drum
kit involved (under $20) and a couple hours of time (including the r&r) vs.
a couple months wait. Plus...the money I *didn't* spend on a
"professional" throttle body will buy addtional speed parts. For
example....for the cost of the econ model I got my exhuast, the FABM10, the
plug wires, and coil.

<snip>
>i like your page as i support any do-it-ur-self hot rodding efforts. I
>got here by being a "do-ur-selfer hot rodder..." cutting corners at
>every oppportunity in my earlier days.

     Thanks Jules....that actually means quite a bit coming from you
particulary because this is your business. I just feel that you should
think twice before knocking the work of others without ever seeing it. You
may get some seriously messed up lookin' tb's sent in to ya but that
doesn't mean all of us are out here grindin' on these things wearin'
mittens and blindfolds.

If you want a piece of the do-it-yerself market (more power to ya
man...business is business) I think the home-kit is a great idea. The
necessary dremel bits and some detailed instructions would probably sell
extremely well.

And to those that have purchased MPI tb's...in NO WAY am I coming down on
goin' that route. It takes quite a bit of nerve (and a certain amount of
"thriftiness"..is that spelled c-h-e-a-p ? 8^) ) to yank the throttle body
and start grindin' on it.
>my harley runs a full-on MPI custom brass mystery shaft in it's S&S carb
>(75hp+ hawg, stock 45) as does our family sedan... and of course,... "i
>did it myself!"
>j/mpi

     Now *that's* pretty cool. Anything with a gas motor in it should be
hot rodded! 8^)

I said this once last year......this hobby, while more rewarding and fun
than any I've had in recent memory, can get a bit expensive. It's
extremely important that the people/companies you deal with in your search
for more horsepower not only provid you quality products and a resonable
price, but also make you feel comfortable in those purchases. Be it Jules
and MPI, Summit Racing, or the corner speed shop......deal with someone you
trust and you are guaranteed to have a good time at this.

off my soapbox now...sorry fellas.

s/rpm