High-end acceleration

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 21:40:54 EDT

I realize that some will have safety issues with this, please direct
them via private e-mail. For those of you w/ badges, I came up with the
following question w/ theoretical math.

I ended up "playing" with a Camaro/Firebird, newest body style, driving
from East St.Louis over into Mo. My acceleration from 50 to 80 happens
in the blink of an eye, so going about 80, I pull up next to him, and we
both floor it. Like I said, from 50 up I had no problem keeping w/ him,
but when we hit it going 80, he was gone! I was left standing, barely
accelerating at all. Why is it when I hit it going 50, 60, even 70,
there is a jolt of power, but none at about 80 and above? I assume this
is a tranny/rear end thing?
I felt better the next night, though, when I raced an obviously modified
camaro, older body style, loud exhaust and wider rear tires/wheels, and
ticked him off 'cause I was passing him when we both had it floored, and
he was obviously spanked, so he passed the people in front of us in the
left hand turn lane and ran away like a little pouting baby! HA!
Later,
Robert
p.s. All of the above is fictional. :-)

--