black clearcoat & atomic bird ka-ka

From: sasha (sasha@one.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 18:41:13 EDT

Anyone else noticed this problem?

I have a 99 in the black clearcoat and a problem with bird kaka spotting
the finish.

I wash the truck once a week and promptly remove any bird bombs as soon as
I see them with Meguire's Quik Detailer. But even with every speck of the
offending material removed from the finish, there is a an "imprint" of the
splat - like it is acid-etched into the clearcoat. Once washed, the surface
is smooth and shiny, but the imprint is still there in all its jagged
glory. Looks like something caustic came in contact with the finish.

I first noticed this "etching effect" with the first wash, so I promptly
waxed the truck, thinking that would provide protection against it. But
with each successive splat, there is still "etching". The spots don't fade
away - they are beginning to add up and it looks like ... kaka!

I have tried to remove them with Meguire's Gold Class Clear Coat Prep and
Meguire's Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish, to no avail - and yes, I am buying
stock in the company ; ) Using anything more abrasive on a weekly basis is
not going to be good for the finish. And trying to cover the spots with a
colored wax is not an option - this spotting shouldn't be happening.

The truck is garaged during the day and at night, so it is rarely out in
the sun, which would bake the splats into the finish. And I don't think the
birds of SW Ohio are more toxic than elsewhere. I just don't get it. Is it
possible the truck is missing the final coat of clearcoat?

Tamer.