Dakota puchase questions

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 10:27:59 EST

I hope to soon be the owner of a 98 Dakota 4x2 short bed.
I would like to get some feedback on options, experiences, and things to
watch out for (gotchas). Any help from current Dakota owners would be
appreciated.

My current hunting list includes:

        25B sport package
        V8, 5 speed
        Anti-slip differential
        Tow package
        Air
        22 gallon tank
        power convenience group
        deluxe convenience group
        5x7 power mirrors
        fog lights
        sliding rear window
        P235/70R15 tires with 15x8 wheels

Any options that are 'gotta have'? Any options that I should stay away
from?

I've been driving a stick for many years, but the question always comes
up: "should I get the 5 speed or the auto trans?". I assume gas mileage
will be better with the 5spd. Is the auto worth an extra $1000?

What kind of gas milage can I expect with the V8 (after break-in)? I've
seend a couple of threads in the archive - 13 city, 17 highway? Anybody
get better than this? I know... if I'm that concerned about gas mileage,
I shouldn't be looking at the V8, yadda, yadda,..., but I'd still like
to know what's realistic to expect.

Any mfg/mechanical problems with the 97/98 models that I should watch
out for?

Any recommendations on bed liners - sprayed, insert, etc.?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance for your response.

jeff - Dakota owner wannabe