What makes after market exhaust better?

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 09:51:43 EST

I have been considering a Gibson single or dual cat back system for my
98 V8 Dak. Yep, more exhaust questions. I've seen some of this
discussion before a while back, but thought I'd go ahead and ask a few
specifics.

Opinions on the dual vs single cat backs? Is there much noticable
difference between the two - ie. response, hp, torque, etc.?

I remember seeing somebody say they got a slight reduction in torque
after adding a cat back system. Anybody experienced this on a V8? I'm
still confused as to why reducing backpressure would reduce torque
and/or increase hp.

What makes the aftermarket setups better than stock? The stock system on
my Dak seems relatively unencumbered - the bends are pretty gentle. Do
the crimp style bends add that much restriction. The stock muffler is a
very small cylindrical unit. Much smaller than many of the after market
"high-flow" units I've seen. Does it contain really restrictive
baffling?

Thanks.

jeff
98 RC V8 5spd 3.55LSD