Re: 360 into Dakota swap attn. woodgate

From: Dahrl Clark (dclark@nb.net)
Date: Mon Jun 08 1998 - 10:35:32 EDT

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01BD92C9.29A06060

    From: woodgate <woodgate@sprynet.com>
    To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
    Date: Monday, June 08, 1998 2:57 AM
   =20
    Greetings
    =20
    I have an engine swap tech question. After reviewing the local laws =
I have determined that it would be legal to swap the 360 from my '85 =
Ramcharger into my 87 Dakota provided all emissions controls from the =
Ramcharger are functional in the Dakota.. The Ramcharger is very rusty =
otherwise I'd still be driving it around. I Know that in '89 dodge =
added the 318 as an option on the dakotas. Were there any chassis =
changes that they needed to make? If not then looking at an 89 might =
give me insight to getting 360 in my '87. I would use emisions legal =
headers and exhaust components for an '89. I have a fresh =
rebuild/buildup on the 727 trans in the Ramcharger and would do a pretty =
much stock rebuild on the 360 while its out. On the 727 we took the =
time to make the neccessary modifications to put extra clutches in each =
drum, better kickdown servo, shift kit along with other durability mods. =
Could I use the output shaft and tail housing from the dakota's trans to =
allow its use with the dakota T case? If not will the housing on the =
3.9's trans bolt up to a small block chrysler. Will I need to move the =
T-case and crossmember back and have the drive shafts cut down? They are =
both carborated non computerized vehicals so its a strait forward swap =
in that area. I have noticed that dodge does'nt make a new part for =
something if they dont have to. Someone broke a tailight on my dakota =
and lo and behold those from the ramcharger bolted right up and did'nt =
have the cheesy chrome bezel. I am also planing on a tire and wheel =
change. I have a set of new 31x10.50 BFG's on the Ramcharger. It looks =
like they would fit the Dakota after a set of Bushwacker cutouts were =
instaled and the rear of the fron inner fender wells were modified to =
take advantage of the cuttouts. I had heard of offset wheels being =
required with lifts for such a tire but this mod to the entire fender =
area should eliminate the need for the offset. I know I'll need wider =
wheels and I actualy hate the wheel covers currently on the truck so I =
was going to replace them anyway. I'd like to avoid offsetting the =
wheels due to the effect it has on steering geometry. A gear set change =
may be in order as well as a LSD or locker. I have the skills and the =
help to pull it off. I just need a few blanks filled in. A friend of =
mine races circle track and fourwheels. He has everything, air tool, =
hand tools, Tire Mounting Machine, Balancer etc at his HOME workshop. =
With his help and about 4 friends (also mechanics) we should have no =
trouble once I have plan based on what actually needs to be done to pull =
it off. After the 360 has been rebuilt with this crew it could probably =
be in and running right in under a weekend. The making the cut outs and =
flairs would take us about 4 hours max. Considering I have almost all =
parts already I would spend very little doing it as well. =
                                                                         =
                                                            Well =
Woodgate, I swapped a 72 360 into mine but never had too worry about =
emissions up here in PA. yet. Mine is a 88 2WD shortbed and I used 904 =
trans. with my swap for the added quickness they give you. I had to =
fabricate almost everything from the motor mounts to the crossmember for =
the trans. Did your 87 have the V6 in it? If it did all of the =
accsesories off of it will bolt right up to the 360 with no probs. I =
used a A body 8 3/4 rear out of a 69 Dart and had to weld new spring =
perches and shock mounts on it. My stock backing plates + brake drums =
bolted right up too it! I still have the stock frame under mine and run =
29.5x11.5 Mickey Thompson slicks under it with room to spare so you =
should have no prob. with your 31's. I should tell you also that the A =
body rear was actually 1 1/2 " narrower than the original! Also had to =
move in the inner fenderwells in the bed for clearance. Before I =
converted it to a full time racer I had all of the guages and factory =
accsessories including the column shift working perfectly so if your =
friends and you have a little time and "shimm riggin ability" it should =
be no big deal. Probably take you more than a weekend though. Good luck! =
    Dahrl Clark
    Clarks Radiator Service
    dclark@nb.net

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01BD92C9.29A06060

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV> </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><B>From:=20
    </B>woodgate <<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:woodgate@sprynet.com">woodgate@sprynet.com</A>><B>T=
o:=20
    </B><A =
href=3D"mailto:dakota-truck@buffnet.net">dakota-truck@buffnet.net</A>=20
    <<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:dakota-truck@buffnet.net">dakota-truck@buffnet.net</A>>=
<B>Date:=20
    </B>Monday, June 08, 1998 2:57 AM<BR></DIV></FONT>
    <DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Greetings</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I have an engine swap tech =
question. After=20
    reviewing the local laws I have determined that it would be legal to =
swap=20
    the 360 from my '85 Ramcharger into my 87 Dakota provided all =
emissions=20
    controls from the Ramcharger are functional in the Dakota.. The =
Ramcharger=20
    is very rusty otherwise I'd still be driving it around. I Know =
that in=20
    '89 dodge added the 318 as an option on the dakotas. Were there any =
chassis=20
    changes that they needed to make? If not then looking at an 89 might =
give me=20
    insight to getting 360 in my '87. I would use emisions legal headers =
and=20
    exhaust components for an '89. </FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>I have a=20
    fresh rebuild/buildup on the 727 trans in the Ramcharger and would =
do a=20
    pretty much stock rebuild on the 360 while its out. On the 727 =
we took=20
    the time to make the neccessary modifications to put extra clutches =
in each=20
    drum, better kickdown servo, shift kit along with other durability =
mods.=20
    </FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Could I use the output shaft =
and tail=20
    housing from the dakota's trans to allow its use with the dakota T =
case? If=20
    not will the housing on the 3.9's trans bolt up to a small block =
chrysler.=20
    Will I need to move the T-case and crossmember back and have the =
drive=20
    shafts cut down? They are both carborated non computerized vehicals =
so its a=20
    strait forward swap in that area. I have noticed that dodge does'nt =
make a=20
    new part for something if they dont have to. Someone broke a =
tailight on my=20
    dakota and lo and behold those from the ramcharger bolted right up =
and=20
    did'nt have the cheesy chrome bezel. I am also planing on a tire and =
wheel=20
    change. I have a set of new 31x10.50 BFG's on the Ramcharger. =
It looks=20
    like they would fit the Dakota after a set of Bushwacker cutouts =
were=20
    instaled and the rear of the fron inner fender wells were modified =
to take=20
    advantage of the cuttouts. I had heard of offset wheels being =
required with=20
    lifts for such a tire but this mod to the entire fender area should=20
    eliminate the need for the offset. I know I'll need wider wheels and =
I=20
    actualy hate the wheel covers currently on the truck so I was going =
to=20
    replace them anyway. I'd like to avoid offsetting the wheels due to =
the=20
    effect it has on steering geometry. A gear set change may be in =
order as=20
    well as a LSD or locker. I have the skills and the help to pull it =
off. I=20
    just need a few blanks filled in. A friend of mine races circle =
track and=20
    fourwheels. He has everything, air tool, hand tools, Tire Mounting =
Machine,=20
    Balancer etc at his HOME workshop. With his help and about 4 friends =
(also=20
    mechanics) we should have no trouble once I have plan based on what =
actually=20
    needs to be done to pull it off. After the 360 has been rebuilt with =
this=20
    crew it could probably be in and running right in under a =
weekend. The=20
    making the cut outs and flairs would take us about 4 hours max. =
Considering=20
    I have almost all parts already I would spend very little doing it =
as=20
    =
well. &n=
bsp; &nb=
sp; &nbs=
p; &nbsp=
; =
            &=
nbsp; &n=
bsp; &nb=
sp; &nbs=
p; &nbsp=
; =
            &=
nbsp; =20
    Well Woodgate, I swapped a 72 360 into mine but never had too worry =
about=20
    emissions up here in PA. yet. Mine is a 88 2WD shortbed and I used =
904=20
    trans. with my swap for the added quickness they give you. I had to=20
    fabricate almost everything from the motor mounts to the crossmember =
for the=20
    trans. Did your 87 have the V6 in it? If it did all of the =
accsesories off=20
    of it will bolt right up to the 360 with no probs. I used a A body 8 =
3/4=20
    rear out of a 69 Dart and had to weld new spring perches and shock =
mounts on=20
    it. My stock backing plates + brake drums bolted right up too it! I =
still=20
    have the stock frame under mine and run 29.5x11.5 Mickey Thompson =
slicks=20
    under it with room to spare so you should have no prob. with your =
31's. I=20
    should tell you also that the A body rear was actually 1 1/2 " =
narrower=20
    than the original! Also had to move in the inner fenderwells in the =
bed for=20
    clearance. Before I converted it to a full time racer I had all of =
the=20
    guages and factory accsessories including the column shift working =
perfectly=20
    so if your friends and you have a little time and "shimm riggin =

    ability" it should be no big deal. Probably take you more than =
a=20
    weekend though. Good luck! Dahrl =
ClarkClarks=20
    Radiator Service<A=20