V8 Oil capacity

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 11:15:43 EDT

This may seem like an off the wall question, but what have you guys
found the oil refill capacity to be on your V8s? I know the manual says
5 qts with filter, yada, yada, ... but I just did the second oil/filter
change on my truck, filled it with 5qts, and then checked it later after
running the engine to find the level 1/2 qt low on the stick. I noticed
this after the first oil/filter change as well, but not till after I had
2K miles on the oil - thought maybe the engine had used a half quart
while breaking in.

I have seen this on my Plymouth minivan with a 3.3l V6 as well. The
manual calls for 4.5qts with filter, but it consistantly takes a full
5qts to bring the level to the full mark on the dipstick.

Has anybody else seen this on their Dak??

Do the Dodge engines have extra/reserve oil capacity? (Unlikely, but
possible).

Is this difference due to the engine oil galleries and channels filling
up and not draining back into the pan? Many of the oil filters now claim
to have anti-drainback valves in them to keep the galleries filled for
startup. I usually check the oil cold, so any drainback thats going to
occur should have already done so.

The bottom line question is: should I top off to the full line on the
stick (5.5qts)? I have been doing that on my minivan for the last 45K
miles with no ill effects (like blown seals, etc.).

jeff
98 rc v8 5spd 3.55sg flares fipk