Re: Update: Rear End Growl

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 17:17:26 EST

Miller, Robert A wrote:

[FWIW, I absolutely abhor embedded HTML in mail, and the only reason I didn't
delete your message out of hand was because you were replying to me, and
because it gives me a chance to pontificate.]

> My 97 2wd CC 318/ 3.92 has the exact noise coming from from rear end. I noticed that if I lift
> rear tires off ground the axles have 1/4" play (micrometer reading) Also there seems to be
> movement in up and down area also.

  I got a slight amount of play in wheel rotation. I think this is perfectly
normal, but can't quote the FSM for sure. As far as the up/down movement
you're on your own. Get your year's FSM and check.

  This wouldn't affect the growl I heard, since the noise was unaffected through
turns. If anything after the input pinion were at fault, I believe the noise
will change in response to turns (as one axle turns quicker than the other).

> If replacing bearings is the fix let me know, cause I want my service department to spend some
> money. They decided they wern't resposible for my brake repairs I paid for out of my pocket.

  I've come to the conclusion that dealer service departments are strategically
dedicated to avoiding as much warranty work as possible. If you go away,
thereby allowing them to duck a warranty repair, they can fill the time with
customers who pay a lot more than the factory. My noise was 100% reproducible,
every time. Why did I have to go back 4 times until I got the right person
to agree there was a fixable problem? I'll bet the diagnosis would have been
correct the first time, had my truck been out of warranty. I'll also bet they
were hoping I'd go away, just like I did with the more-local dealer (not the
one I purchased the Dakota from).

  In my case, I spent the time to debug the problem. The first guy didn't
care at all; I watched his eyes glass over as I described my procedure and
diagnosis (two visits with this guy, who immediately stamped "NO PROBLEM"
on my ticket as soon as I left). The second guy appeared to be an actual
mechanic, who actually listened to me. I presume that's why my bearings
are getting replaced. Either that or they knew I was a pain in the ass who
wasn't going away (my next call would have been straight to the Chrysler
regional customer service office, if they blew me off again).

  My advice is be polite but insistent. It's going to be a pain to get any
warranty work done, so just do your best but get it taken care of.

  And if the rear end still growls, I'm getting that 800 number out of the
owner's manual...

  Ron