Skid Plates - Revisited

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 10:17:45 EST

   Well the saga continues. I have a '00 SLT CC 4x4 4.7 5speed DAK. It did not
come with the skid plate group. And I'm kinda glad because the 2000 DAK skid
plate group is plastic. So based on some comments from members the last time I
brought this up, I went to the dealer and ordered the skid plates from Mopar.
Their book listed them as fitting 98-00 Dakotas. (no diffentiation between CC
or RC) They came in, were nice steel units, I waxed 'em, (I'm anal that way,
anything painted gets a wax job BEFORE installation) then crawled underneath
the Grey Ghost to put 'em on. They don't even come close to fitting. I take
'em back and they say "nope, those are the ones". I say "kiss my transfer
case, lets see your 5 star mechanic put 'em on"... so they pull it in the shop
and the mechanic then tells me that the frame and crossmembers has changed
considerably from '99 to '00 and these puppies won't fit. Then he tries to
tell me how great the plastic ones are. But the parts department doesn't even
have a listing for the plastic ones as their doc assumes the older ones fit
the 2000's. Pretty neat huh? Anyway, I've called about 5 places and cant find
any skid plates for a 2000 Dakota. Anyone out there put any new skid plates
on a 2000? Anyone out there know where to look for such a beast?? Thanks for
any help!!