Demons that lurk in the Dark

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 11:40:31 EDT

Hmmmm....

   As a contractor, I get the opportunity to work at many companies. I've
watched them merge, be bought, dismantled etc. The company I currently
contract for (Bergen Brunswig) just went through a huge merger battle. If you
tuned it, they were going to merge with thier next lower competitor in the
parmacutical distribution field. The merger was not looked on positively by
most of the workers here since many of them would be unemployed if it went
through. But the wonderful FTC in it's infinite stupidity stepped in and
stopped the merger. The similarities between this merger and the
Diamler-Chrysler ones are scary to look at. The difference is, one is drugs,
one is cars. The FTC doesn't care so much about cars.
   The raw truth is (workers opinions aside) it would have made Bergen a much
stronger company since Cardinal (the other mergee) excelled in area's Bergen
didn't and vice versa. Part of upper managements job is to identify possible
avenues that would benefit the corporation: their pocketbooks aside. Eaton
does not want to "Sell Chrysler down the river" as it would forever brand him
as a pirate and an opportunist. I'm very certain he and the rest of Chrysler
upper management took every step possible to safeguard the companies forward
momentum. I seriously doubt the upper management is going to sell the company
and take the money and run. This is absolutely ridiculous thinking.
   Eaton probably will be keeping his postion, very few will "retire" and
Chrysler will likely be left alone save for positive improvements. Those
homes in Auburn hills may be for "German" engineers and executives to come
over and study how Chrysler works and where they can improve. I'd love to see
cars coming from CC that have the standards that Daimler demands from Mercedes
Plants.
   I'm sorry folks, I just can't get into the "End of the World" funk. I
don't work for CC so my job is not in jeopardy, but I seriously doubt Daimler
is going to go wacko with firing people. Chrysler is pretty lean and mean:
which is why Diamler wanted it in the first place. It's a good buy. I don't
blame any of the upper management of Chrysler or Diamler for the deal.

Shaun H.