Brakes and Shocks.

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 00:07:07 EST

--------------59F6D2BB1E32399DFB6C5DAA

Underlined portions are relevant, everything else is intro. stuff.
Just a quick question or two before I leave for spring break:
1) Last time I had my Dak in the shop for an inspection, they said my
brakes had about 1500 miles left on them. 1500 has come and gone, not
to mention the fact that I'm driving 790 miles on Friday. Any
suggestions on pad replacement? Are there better pads, or
is a pad a pad?
2) I remember a long time ago, I was asking around about exhaust, and
somebody who had my Dak on a hydro lift said my rear shock was slightly
leaking. No one has mentioned this ever since, they were probably
trying to con a kid into buying something he didn't need, but.....
If/when I do replace shocks, any suggestions there? My rear has been
lowered 2" w/ blocks, and I don't usually haul heavy loads of stuff.
Anything to avoid or go for in the way of shocks? I just have this
weird feeling that when I take my truck in for pads, I'm going to get a
list of stuff that needs to be replaced 'cause it's old. Just a hunch,
I've had it for 20,000 miles and changed nothing but the air filter and
oil.
Thank you very much in advance. Knowing my experience w/ a damn air
filter, are shocks easy enough for me to do? (I looked at brake pads in
my repair manual, no way in heck!)
Later,
Robert Trottmann
rotrottmann@davidson.edu
Sorry about the long post.

--------------59F6D2BB1E32399DFB6C5DAA

<HTML>
Underlined portions are relevant, everything else is intro. stuff.
Just a quick question or two before I leave for spring break:
1) Last time I had my Dak in the shop for an inspection, they said
my brakes had about 1500 miles left on them. 1500 has come and gone,
not to mention the fact that I'm driving 790 miles on Friday. <U>Any
suggestions on pad replacement</U>? Are there better pads, or
is a pad a pad?
2) I remember a long time ago, I was asking around about exhaust, and
somebody who had my Dak on a hydro lift said my rear shock was slightly
leaking. No one has mentioned this ever since, they were probably
trying to con a kid into buying something he didn't need, but..... <U>If/when
I do replace shocks, any suggestions there?</U> My rear has been